Separating Light World items from their Dark World counterparts

Hello everyone. This discussion is a partial reboot of a previous discussion started only a few days before Deltarune Chapter 5 released. As a result, it quickly became overshadowed by all the new content that was made available. Now that Chapter 5 is no longer "new", I believe it is now time to consider this discussion again.

[Partially copy/pasted from above discussion]
Currently, items with Light World equivalents have the Light World equivalent paired with the Dark World version, and the page title would prioritize the Dark World variant. However, this format makes it so that the Light World variant is not easily reachable, and it also results in the item page having multiple infoboxes for different subjects. Additionally, Dark World name prioritization does not work for items like Holiday Pencil, which is obtained in the Light World before seeing its Dark World equivalent.

Thus, I propose that we split each Light World item into a separate page. This way, it will be easier for people to find specific items they may be looking for, even if they may not be as "noteworthy" as the Dark World equivalent. Additionally, the pages would have more sensible categorization since Dark World items would not be categorized under Light World items at the same time.

Two examples of this change I would like to highlight can be found at Holiday Pencil and Glass (Note: Glass may not have been substantially updated since Chapter 5 released)

Please reply to this post with your thoughts on this proposal.

What
This just
Who cares about light world items enough for this to matter

That isn't a good argument. Who cares about pair of eyes, too?

I fully support this suggestion, it improves the wiki.

This wiki documents many things that people may not care about. That does not mean it should not be considered.

What
What was
What pair of eyes
Plus, it’s just
Dark world items are more prevalent and important then the average light world item

Wow, as if I didn’t know that

I’ve done enough

This seems like a reasonable idea on the surface. It would result in a bunch of small pages, but it seems like a pretty future-proofed system. I have two questions:

  1. How many pages would be created in total?
  2. How would BlackShard be handled? Would those stay merged, or would we have a "BlackShard (Light World)" page?

Pair of eyes clause again. CH1 NPC with 1 line of dialogue.

Yes that is true but genuinely why does that matter at all.

We're not Wikipedia, there's no WP:GNG that a concept has to meet for notability.

Light World item is different to Dark World item, there is enough info for a split. It is cleaner.

Can’t wait for Toby to make some random item that only exists in the dark world or smth odd that Ruins the system.

I don't see how that would ruin the system...

That why I added ‘or smth’

The Forgotten Man's egg is similar to this as well, same name, two variants.

Not sure on what to do. I don't like two infoboxes but keeping them merged might be better.

"Who cares about light world items enough for this to matter" isn't a good argument, that was what I meant. That's subjective, wiki isn't based off how much people care about an item. It's based on what is best for the encylopedia.

Here's a list of items affected by this change:

  • AquaKnife <-> Petal
  • BlackShard <-> BlackShard (Light World)
  • BounceBlade <-> Eraser
  • Egg <-> Egg (Light World)
  • JingleBlade <-> Holiday Pencil
  • MechaSaber <-> Mech. Pencil
  • Saber10 <-> CactusNeedle
  • Shadow Crystal <-> Glass
  • Silver Watch <-> Wristwatch
  • Spookysword <-> Halloween Pencil
  • Trefoil <-> Lucky Pencil
  • Winglade (item) <-> QuillPen
  • Wood Blade <-> Pencil
  • WoodBlade2 <-> Pencil2

I think we can get away with separating BlackShard and Egg, for clarity at least.

I don't see anything wrong with this change as I generally prefer covering multiple topics across multiple pages instead of lumping them in one. The only thing I would suggest is that, if this change is approved, a "Light World/Dark World counterpart" parameter should be added to the item infobox, similar to how the Undertale wiki has a counterpart parameter for armors/weapons.

I like this idea, but I'd like the Light World equivalent of items to be as accessible on the Dark World pages as possible. Might be worth putting it in the initial description e.g. "Its Light World equivalent is the [Light World equivalent]"

I would just add a skip to it from the top of the page

We can do both at the same time. The Undertale wiki also mentions the counterpart of a weapon/armor in the introductory paragraph.

Is this separation really necessary? The items are practically identical and the minor differences between the versions could easily just be solved by adding [Light World] and [Dark World]

Unless there is a major difference between the Light World and Dark World variants that I'm not thinking about