Something i realized. If this change is done, how would the Light World items be classified? Would there be a new "Light World weapons" category, or would it just be classified as "Light World items, weapon"? And how would the classification affect the Wristwatch since it's an armor?
I made a draft for BlackShard (Light World) a little while ago. It's short, but it provides sufficient information about the item.
What I mean by "clarity" in these cases is that there are currently two infoboxes on each Dark World item with a Light World equivalent. For BlackShard and Egg, this makes it so that it isn't really clear what specifically the article is addressing. Separating these articles makes it so that the article doesn't feel as cluttered or mashed together.
I don't know how these items function internally, but I don't think we need to categorize them beyond just being a "Light World item", since there aren't too many of them to begin with. My biggest concern at the moment is just separating them in the first place.
imo I think the Black Shard and the Egg shouldn't be split, since they are argueably the same item regardless if it's light world or dark world. I'm pretty sure them being the same in both worlds is important to the plot, and having them split would go against the items' nature of being kept the same. I hope I've explained myself well.
Is there no way of covering both items in one infobox? The egg and BlackShard remaining the same in both worlds seems like a very intentional detail that might be obscured if they were separate pages.
I would prefer if they were separated so "items with an actual use in the Light World" aren't lumped together with "items that have no actual function in the Light World".
No, there is no way to combine the items into one infobox because they have different internal item IDs in different categories. Even if there was a way, I still would not want to shove information about more than one variant on the same infobox. We have had this problem in the past with certain spells (e.g. Pacify) having "variants" (e.g. Sleep Mist, Scythemare) covered on the same page that ended up having to be split onto their own pages. I would rather avoid that here.
Why do we need such a distinction? I do not believe that is how these items work internally, and I do not want to cause any weird categorization issues by doing this.
I understand now!
These items do not have any usage in the Light World + they fuction differently than the rest of the Light Wold items (being equippable unlike the rest), so I would personally prefer if they were classified differently from the rest.
In that case, I think we could make a subcategory for Light World equipment which would cover the weapons and Bandage and Wristwatch. Due to how the items work internally, I think this distinction should only be made in the main body and not in the infobox.
I would prefer if the armors and weapons were split, but I understand if they are just merged into a "Light World equipments" category because there are only two Light World armors.
I would also prefer if the "non-equipment items" were also a sub-category in Light World items, but if there is no neat way of splitting them, then just having them in "Light World items" and no other sub-category is an understandable compromise.
while i wouldnt mind splitting off light world for other items, i'm against splitting egg and blackshard as well.
the articles dont feel cluttered at all to me, and i dont see why having two infoboxes on one page is a bad thing. the egg+blackshard pages make it pretty clear whats meant to be LW and whats meant to be DW as is now. i can't see making two different pages for what is, to the average player, the exact same item being anything but confusing.
i'm also hesitant on splitting shadow crystal from glass, since people would want to see all of the use text in one place, so having that across two different pages could be a nuisance. i don't know what could be done about that, though...
It covers a needlessly large amout of the page, which looks bad and makes it hard to add other images to the page. I would much rather have 1 infobox, even if it would mean to do something like this for stuff that's different in the Light and Dark World:
- X (Dark World)
- Y (Light World)
I agree. The similarities between the Light World and Dark World versions seem like a very intentional decision that would probably be lost if they were separate pages.
I don't think this is that much of an issue.
Wouldn't this make things harder to parse programatically, like {{Items}} does? Although I'm not sure by how much or if it'd really matter
The template will automatically resolve to the correct page once the infoboxes are split.