How is everything getting darker achieved in these few rooms?



It may sound a little confusing, but how exactly do the assets (such as the background rocks or the castle) get darker here? For example, it seems that the castle's normal srpite is this:

How does this (and again, other stuff) get dark purple? Are there separate purple srpites or is this done through code somehow? If it's the latter, then can one recreate it in some image editor or something like that? I'd LOVE to get an answer. Thanks in advance.

I assume there is a dark purple transparent sprite laid over it, on a layer underneath the players, and that’s why it is only the background.

I may be wrong though.

Pretty sure it's a shader.

well, ch5 also has some wacky shader stuff going on in the cliffs, so I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with that

No answer huh... That's a shame
Maybe there's an explanation somewhere? It's definitely something in the code, like with 2nd Sanctuary's color change as well

couch couch

I mean, I did needed a more definitive answer but hey whatever I just did it myself
Expect a cliffs-themed wallpaper soon lol