Seam didn't expect Pink to get possessed

Yes, the next opponent shall be your final one. I'm sure you shall topple them easily!

This is what Seam says about Pink at the beginning of the chapter. Despite this, the fight is arguably harder than the Roaring Knight (with Shadow Mantle). This could simply be a case of gameplay/story separation, or because the Knight is only dropped to 80% health while Pink is simply spared.

However, I think this is because Seam didn't anticipate that Body would be possessed by Ghost. First, I need to establish Seam's knowledge. Seam seems to have general knowledge of every Shadow Crystal holder before you fight them. Jevil is obvious, but they also know that you fought the Knight before you tell them*[1]* and try to give you the Shadow Mantle to help against them, say that Gerson will "ring the bell on your defeat", referencing the "bell of justice" mentioned throughout the fight, and recommend the Mannequin armor for the Pink fight. However, their knowledge is not absolute. They seem surprised Spamton stole the NEO body[2], and don't know where the Shadow Mantle ended up.[3]

I could talk about Seam all day, and at some point I'll make a thread or doc detailing literally everything about them, but the important part is that they knew the Pink fight was going to happen, but probably didn't know about the Ghost possessing her.

Ghost is main reason that the fight is actually difficult. Most of the attacks are based on the Ghost's interests, not the Body's, and attacks like the giant chase one and the final date couldn't have happened without them fighting. Ghost's the one who instigates the fight, and Body doesn't want to fight them at all, just date them. In a no-ghost world, there's a good chance the Shadow Crystal would be gotten without a fight.

Well, actually, in a no-ghost world, Body would be dead on the floor, since she needs the Ghost to survive, or she'll die, Kris-style. So I guess they'd just be looting her corpse for the Shadow Crystal. I don't think that's what Seam thought would happen, though. The way Body talks about the "someone who owned a lot of cats" implies it was a long time ago, while Ghost has only known about Body for a few days max. This means there was a period of time where Body did not need a ghost to survive, and something changed that caused her to require a ghost. (or she had another Ghost back then, but that's a can of worms I'm not getting into).

That was a lot of words containing multiple different theories to resolve a small, unimportant line of dialogue. In summary, I think that the reason Seam thought the Pink fight would be easy is that they assumed the party would be only be fighting Pink's Body, and did not the Ghost and the Body.


  1. Ah, I know what you're going to say. Now, now, there's no shame in it. You fought the Knight, didn't you? Well, we all know there's no winning there...

    - Seam, Chapter 4 ↩︎

  2. Oh, is that so? That salesman had found the crystal in the old machine...?

    - Seam, Chapter 2 ↩︎

  3. That's odd. Kris... where did you find it?

    - Seam, Chapter 4, referring to the Shadow Mantle ↩︎

my headcanon is that pink’s body got like, connected to the ghost because she was being possessed before the fountain was made and stuff

(don’t ask how pink ghost didn’t see Kris making the fountain)

Just like Asgore, she was downstairs

oh right :torielfacepalm:

Maybe the shadow crystal made her weaker cause she couldn't cope and that's why Seam expected her to lose without the interloper?